Everything you see below has been compiled from our experience as Escape Room Guys.
General Tips and Tricks
- If provided, use the white board.
- Clues may be used more than once unless specified by your Game Master (GM) in the briefing.
- Locks – if you’re having trouble opening a lock, make sure you’re resetting it before each attempt by pushing in THEN pulling, or turning the dial back to zero a few times..
- Speaking of locks, we’ve encountered the following types:
- Numerical combination (think a MasterLock)
- Directional (instead of numbers, you push the lock in a series of directions – right, left, up or down)
- 3/4/5 digit padlocks (can be alpha or numeric, or an alphanumeric)
- Digital combination locks (instead of a dial with numbers you spin, the numbers/letters are around the lock perimeter and you just press on them)
- Electromagnetic locks (put an object in a place to complete a circuit)
- Date locks
- Read everything TWICE. (Refer to Rule #3)
- Don’t just look around. Study details and observe.
- PARTICIPATE! You will only have as much fun as the energy you put into the game.
- Book the entire room with your friends (unless you don’t mind meeting some new people). Keep in mind that said new people may be really dumb, drunk/hungover, annoying, or smell bad. You are trapped in a small room with them for 45-60 minutes, after all.
- This ‘Tip’ is in here because, well, experience.
Questions for the Game Master
- What’s the actual, physical objective?
- Are we looking for an object? Have to get something out of a safe? Do we need a key to open the door to leave?
- Is there a Leader Board?
- If so, can we ask for help/a clue and still get on it?